Job PositionOutreach Worker
Job ID: #578
Location: New Bedford, MA
SUMMARY: The Outreach Worker works as an integral part of the Program Team. The Outreach Worker will perform, but is not limited to, the following duties: administration of program record-keeping, conducting interviews, intakes, developing, implementing and monitoring individualized service plans, case reviews, and advocacy. This position may require a flexible schedule including 1st and 2nd shifts. The agency has the right to change shifts based on the needs of the organization.
- Provide street outreach to homeless individuals and youth, including those with serious mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Build trust and access needs of homeless persons in Project catchment area.
- Perform data collection with the hard-to-reach, chronic homeless population.
- Perform wellness check of unsheltered homeless individuals to ensure safety from dangerously cold temperatures.
- Distribute outreach supplies including blankets, clothes, and hygiene products as available.
- Collaborate with staff and coordinated intake system to engage individuals in services and begin housing placement process.
- Partner and collaborate with volunteers to meet program objectives.
- Perform brief interventions and non-clinical verbal communication with homeless individuals to determine potential eligibility for services.
- Assist consumers with completing applications for benefits and services.
- Engage eligible homeless individuals into services and encourage them to undergo further assessment and counseling with treatment staff, providing transportation and coordination as necessary.
- Assist consumers with storage of belongings while awaiting housing placement.
- Facilitate and maintain community relationships to create referral pathways to homeless and treatment services.
- Provide program materials to potential consumers and community partners around shelter services.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive outreach and working relationship with all stakeholders (providers, clergy, elected officials, police, community activists, potential consumers).
- Ability to climb three flights of stairs to visit consumers in the community.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations by placing calls to Fire, Rescue, Police and Medical, etc.
The Outreach Worker must perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge/skill and/or ability required.
- High School or General Education Diploma (GED) preferred.
- A minimum two of years related work experience working with the homeless or at-risk youth, serving as a housing advocate, and/or working with landlords and housing providers.
- Education or experience in cultural competency; bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
- Good working knowledge of computers, electronic health records and data collection.
- Requires valid driver’s license due to business-related travel at least 60 to 80% of the time.